Friday, December 23, 2011

Security Theater

Vanity Fair has a great article on "security theater" with insights by two of my favorite security and risk commentators (Bruce Schneier and Paul Slovic). Read the piece and reflect on how it applies to humanitarian security. While it's easy to take potshots at TSA and government airport security practices, it's a lot more difficult to take a critical look at your organization's and your own decisions following a crisis event.

Some questions I always ask myself following such an event include: Are my decisions based more on emotional aftermath versus the reality of the situation? Have I thought about the actual cost of my decisions? Am I perhaps guilty of engaging in security theater? And if so, is that always bad?

Mindfulness paves the path for better coping with future crisis...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home